Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day--Norah's Birth Story

Happy Mother's Day!

So here is Norah Evelyn's birth story:

Thursday May 6, 2010

After spending the morning with Logan, Liliana, Kaya, and Nanny Abbee at the Miller Park Play Gym we put the kids down for nap and I walked to my second acupuncture appointment in Columbia City. Both the acupunturist and his office assistant commented that I was full of energy today. My obvious reply was that because today was a good day to go into labor. ;) Then I went to the our neighborhood toy store and bought Liliana a big sister gift and headed home. By the time the kiddos were up from nap I noticed that I was starting to have more crampy, yet mild contractions. Being weary of getting too excited about whether or not "this was it" I tried to just continue playing with the kids. However, I did think that it was important enough to call Ian and make sure that he was planning on coming home from work on time. He must have sensed something because he asked me if he needed to take a cab. ;) Obviously, there was no need for that. Finally I decided it was worth trying to see how far apart the contractions were coming, see if there was any pattern. When it seemed like the contractions were about 6 minutes apart, I asked Abbee if I could go upstairs to my room and pay a little more close attention to the contractions. Pretty soon Ian and Rachie were home from work so Ian and I were able to take a little walk together. Again, we didn't want to get to excited because although I was getting contractions consistently, they seemed pretty mild.

You will notice a pattern of me not wanting to get too excited and not being sure about whether or not "this was it" because remember I had to wait the full two weeks and forced labor to begin with castor oil. I really had no idea what the beginning of labor could be like. I also didn't want to get to disappointed this was yet another bought of pre-labor contractions. So I tried to just continue on with our day like normal.

Dinner was hilarious. I had one contraction leaning against the kitchen counter while all three kids are in the normal chaos of dinner. One contraction with Ian asking: "Hey, when you are done with that could you go get me my dinner?" Jerk! ;) He is a funny guy. Really I was laughing and giggling all through dinner, all through these early contractions. We put Liliana to sleep and headed up to our room. That's when we realized that we still needed to get a few things ready for the birth. We chatted while we neatened and prepared our room for the possibility of going into real labor in the night. By the time we were going to bed it was near midnight and I was pretty sure I was in labor, but again I was afraid to go to sleep and wake up on Friday without my baby. Luckily Ian kept reminding me that everyone says that you should try and sleep if you can. So we pushed the recliner to the end of the bed and we fell asleep hand in hand with Ian on the bed and me in the recliner. Remember how much I loved the recliner during Liliana's birth.

Friday May 7, 2010
Sometime before 2 a.m. I woke up and started timing contractions again. Yes, I woke up and was still having contractions. With the contractions coming closer to 4 minutes apart we decided to call out midwife Tracy even though the contractions still weren't consistently 60 seconds long. She decided she would pack her thing and head over. We decided to walk around the house until they got here. More hilarious memories of stepping over various toys in the basement while laboring. Time started to fly once our midwives Tracy and Michelle arrived. I was already 7 cm dilated. By the time the sun was rising Ian and I were ready for another walk. This time we walked around the back yard avoiding dog poop. ;) There was also the reality that our kiddos would be up soon and I would still be in labor. It was really nice to see all three kids and know that soon there would be a fourth. It was perfect to see Liliana one last time before she became a big sister. She kissed my belly one last time. Next time she would kiss Baby Sister. I can't even begin to describe the relief I had when I heard Rachie say the was able to find someone to cover her for the day and she would be able to stay home to help.

Ian and I attempted a walk down the street. We made it a block and back. Mike took care of all the kids. Rach joined Ian and our midwives in supporting me. I admit that I got impatient. I wanted to hit transition. I wanted to start pushing. Suddenly I was having back pain. I finally decided to ask to be checked again. Still 9 cm. Baby's head was turned a bit hence the back labor. We had three options: 1) Tracy could hold my cervix opened while I pushed with the next contraction; 2) Tracy could break my water bag; and 3) nothing. I told her throw nothing out the window and because the bag of waters was right up against her head we opted for option #1. And so with the next contraction I pushed, Baby slid down, and I was fully dilated. BTW: My Mama said she opted for option #1 with both my birth and the birth of my younger sister Gabby. Must be a genetic thang--impatience to meet your child. ;)

Finally the pushing. It took me a while to find a comfortable position, but then I remembered my Mama's classic stretching position--standing legs a little apart bent at the waist and wiggling my hips. I giggled thinking of this stretch my Mama ALWAYS does and just how good it felt. After finding this position it was just a few pushes before I had I had sweet Norah in my arms. It was amazing. With Liliana I was on all fours and didn't get to see her for a few moments after she was birthed. With Norah she was immediately in my arms. With Ian's arms wrapped around us. Within just a minute or so we were comfortably snuggled in our bed.

Now without getting into too much detail I just need to pay homage to my midwife Tracy and of course Michelle, too. They were not only amazing support, but they handled the after-birth tasks with a calm professionalism. I got to concentrate on looking at my new little baby girl while they coached me through the passing of the placenta and then took care of my clotting. Now clotting after giving birth is just a cruel thing, but Michelle and Tracy took turns massaging my uterus as I tried to reflexively swat them away. It hurt way more than labor! But, it was necessary for my recovery. Before I knew it the room was clean and I was eating an orange and nursing Norah.

Now the kids could some in to meet Baby Sister/Cousin. WOW! I can hardly describe the love and reverence that our three toddlers showed towards Norah. They just loved her instantly. We all did. I was amazed by how gentle they all were. Liliana was in awe to finally see Baby Sister as a wiggling little baby. She was very insistent about Baby Sister needing her milk. Then Rach and Mike took all the kids on a morning adventure to get Jamba Juice to celebrate. Leaving Ian and I with Tracy and Michelle to do the baby exam. Norah score a 9 on the Apgar test and showed us she had no problems peeing or pooping seeing as she graced Mom with examples of both before we could even get a diaper on. She also instantly knew how to nurse. We don't expect she lost any weight the first week. Then after a quick lunch Ian, Norah, and I snuggled down for the first of many family naps.

We just couldn't have been more fortunate to have the support of Tracy, Michelle, Rachie, and Mike. It was perfect. We had no concerns or worries throughout the whole labor. I want to also say thank you to all the women who wrote me special blessings for the birth. Rachie you are amazing to have made me both the book of blessing and the necklace that represented it all. Thank you dear sister. Ian, I can not find the words to show all my appreciation for your support and love. I truly have an amazing husband who is also an incredible father. Thank you. Thank you for making the birth of Norah Evelyn so perfect. And perfect she is, too. We are lucky beyond words!

FYI: I know this isn't being posted until after Mother's Day, but having a second child is just a whole new game in terms of time. Oh, my.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Marita! Your a mighty women... baby is just so cute...

Georgia said...

LOVE this :) She is so adorable!!!

liz said...

Beautiful birth - and oh, the adorableosity of those photos :)

edith said...

Beautiful birth story, beautiful experience and a beautiful family.
63 years ago I gave birth to my first baby and 6 years later to my second. Comparing my experience with yours Marita, I lived in the dark ages.
You'r beautiful relationship to each other and your childrens, builds a rock solid foundation for them and they will benefit from it for the rest of they'r life.
Keep up the good work, with all my love Nana

Zoƫ said...

You are so amazing! And Norah is gorgeous! Congratulations! Love you!

Sarah said...

I'm happy for you that you have this written already. I really enjoyed reading this (though it took 3 sittings... life of a mom!) and look forward to my next birth, which is planned at home.
We are so happy for your new addition and the love being shared all around.

hermes birkin 30cm said...

If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely useful for me.